Keep your car safe
Don’t leave valuables in cars
Valuables in your car are easy targets for thieves, especially in deserted car parks. So it’s important to remove any visible items to keep them safe. It’s also helpful to:
- Try park your car in well-lit areas.
- Ensure your vehicle is always locked.
- Close all your windows – even when you’re at the petrol station.
- Remove any detachable items, such as GPS or your car stereo.
- Have your keys in your hand before you get to your car – be aware of your surroundings.
Marine Watch encourages boat owners to get to know their neighbouring mooring or pen users as a means of increasing the level of supervision of boats and the surrounding environment.
Marine Watch is about preventing crime in and around the boating community.
If you notice a suspicious person, recording the information may help the Police to catch a criminal.
Report all suspicious behaviour and incidents to Police via Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Here are some basic steps we can all take to protect our vessels and property:
- Record all details of your boat and equipment (including trailer and hull registration and electronics serial numbers) and keep in a safe place.
- Mark any valuable items with an engraver or UV pen with your drivers licence number.
- Fit an anti theft device to your trailer.
- Fit a quality lock to your boat.
- Remove all valuable items from your boat when you leave it unattended, including all alcohol.
- Consider fitting a quality alarm to your boat.
- Take your keys with you when leaving the boat.
- Use a key float.