Adapting a tried and tested program from Mildura Victoria, the City of Kwinana helped establish a Junior Neighbourhood Watch (NHW) at Orelia Primary School.
The aims of the program are:
- Raise the profile of NHW amongst young people.
- Educate our young people in crime prevention, personal safety and road safety.
- Increase level of awareness of their surroundings.
- Increase positive interactions with police.
- Increasing the likelihood reporting crime.
- Create a safer community.
The original program outline included:
- Term one - Introducing the program to students, distribution of kits, and outlining the values and expectations of NHW.
- Term two - Introducing forensic science, crime scenes, finger prints, what to do if you are a victim, and how to be an effective witness.
- Term three - Home security and personal safety, how to protect your home, securing your property and, how to protect yourself.
- Term four - Road safety, pedestrian and bike safety.
This Junior NHW WA program is run in collaboration with the City of Kwinana, NHW and the local police. Designed for Year 6 students, it
The Junior NHW participants were presented with certificates and official NHW merchandise for their outstanding efforts by the City of Kwinana and NHW WA at the final session of the program.
If any school or local government is interested in finding out more about the initiative email us with your enquiry.