Western Australia has among the highest rates of car theft in the country but by taking a few simple steps, you can reduce your chances of becoming a victim of car theft.
It is now compulsory to fit an approved car immobiliser on the purchase of a vehicle. Installing an immobiliser will not only make your vehicle much harder to steal, but it will be much less attractive to thieves.
Some simple steps to protect your vehicle -
- Park your car off the street, preferably in your yard or in a locked garage.
- If you need to park in the street at night, ensure you park in a well lit area.
- Have the Vehicle Identification Number etched into all major windows.
- Don’t leave your keys in the ignition. Apart from being an invitation to potential offenders, this constitutes an offence if your vehicle is parked on a road.
- Don’t leave valuable items in your vehicle.
- Spare keys should never be hidden on or in a vehicle.
- Remove cheque books, credit cards, driver’s licence and registration papers from your glovebox.
- Keep all doors locked while driving.
- Check the rear seat of your car before getting in.
- Always close all windows and lock all doors before leaving your car.