Firearms and ammunition must be locked in a secure cabinet or container which meets specified regulations.
- Ammunition and firearms cannot be stored together unless ammunition is in a separate locked container to the firearm.
- A magazine is not to contain any ammunition when stored.
- Storage cabinet or container must be securely anchored.
- Consider the location of your firearm/ammunition storage. If possible do not fit them in an obvious area. The garage is not a recommended placement.
- Never leave firearms or ammunition in your vehicle unattended.
“A cabinet or container that can be unlocked with a key is regarded as unlocked if the key is left in the lock or is otherwise accessible where the cabinet or container is located.” Firearms Regulations 1974 11A(3).