Farm Machinery Theft
- If it is necessary to leave machinery on site overnight, leave it in view of a farmhouse or highly visible area. Where this is not practical, park out of sight of any passing traffic.
- Where possible, store farm machinery in a secure shed or enclosure – preferably in sight of a farm house.
- Disable equipment by removing the distributor cap, rotor or battery where necessary.
- Secure equipment with heavy chains and quality locks. Either chain and lock pieces of equipment together; to trees or other stationary objects; or chain the rear of vehicle to the front wheel/axle.
- ALWAYS lock vehicles and machinery.
- NEVER attempt to hide the keys in a location nearby.
- NEVER leave valuable items displayed inside a vehicle or leave tools and other items scattered in vehicle trays. If a tool box is attached, secure the contents with a quality padlock.
- Maintain an accurate inventory of all your vehicles and machinery including: registration; chassis and model numbers; and VIN numbers.
- Photograph or video machinery and valuables to enable easy identification.