Marine Watch encourages boat owners to get to know their neighbouring mooring or pen users as a means of increasing the level of supervision of boats and the surrounding environment.
Marine Watch is about preventing crime in and around the boating community.
If you notice a suspicious person, recording the information may help the Police to catch a criminal.
Report all suspicious behaviour and incidents to Police via Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Here are some basic steps we can all take to protect our vessels and property.
- Record all details of your boat and equipment - including serial numbers - and keep in a safe place.
- Mark any valuable items with an engraver or UV pen with your drivers licence number.
- Fit an anti theft device to your trailer.
- Fit a quality lock to your boat.
- Remove all valuable items from your boat when you leave it unattended, including all alcohol.
- Consider fitting a quality alarm to your boat.
- Take your keys with you when leaving the boat.
- Use a key float.